Thursday, February 6, 2014

cure what ails you: the winter blues


On Tuesday, as Liam and I embarked on yet another cold, icy commute to daycare, I heard the weather man come on the radio and announce that the high for Wednesday was going to be one degree (which, honestly, is better than zero or subzero). I promptly changed the station before they started announcing wind chill temps, and Liam and I car danced to cheesy pop songs the rest of the way into town, with Liam shouting things like, "Arrgh, I'm a biking ship." (I haven't had the heart to tell him that his new winter hat makes him a Viking, not a Viking ship.)

Honestly, I hate February. It's the worst. We are currently on month four of snow and cold and wind, and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight. Once again, Craig is heading out on recruiting trips every week this month, and let me tell you, I am not looking forward to the 12 day stretch he embarks on at the end of the month. The bright side to this year is that I no longer have to arrive at work before dawn and instead of fighting Liam to wake up, I am now greeted with a Golden Book plastered to my face and a "Hey, Mama, I wanna read Dumbo."

With that being said, I've learned that perhaps the best cure is not lamenting about February days, but rather finding ways to celebrate them (oh my goodness, did I seriously just say that)--dancing in our living room rather than lamenting that we can't go outside on these dark dreary evenings; drinking hot chocolate with whipped cream and super hero sprinkles rather than thinking about how much we miss the local burrito truck; relishing in the fact that I live in a climate where I can "curate a coat wardrobe" ;and  devouring those Vitamin D gummies like candy.

A couple of other posts I'm loving about wellness and curing the winter blues: here and here, plus a Cabin Fever Playlist.

1 comment:

  1. The end of the winter is so hard...you're so ready for it to be over, but it just sticks around. I'm tired of being cold. I don't need it to be summer or anything...I just am tired of bundling up to go outside. Or even to be inside. HA!

    Hope you guys are doing well otherwise! I've been so behind on keeping up with blogs...but I'm happy to catch up with you a little today! : )

    ReplyDelete