Wednesday, November 20, 2013

on cabins and leather sofas and Ernest Hemingway

Clockwise from upper left: 1//2//3//4
In a few weeks Craig and I are going to be moving to a little cabin closer to work. While the home isn't much larger than our current home, we couldn't pass up the opportunity to raise our son in the nation's second largest state park. The trails and free-roaming bison were pretty hard to pass up, and of course, it allows me the opportunity to decorate another home.

As I browse my Pinterest boards, I can't help but notice my affinity for leather sofas. Long before Pinterest, there was Better Homes and Gardens, and I would dutifully peruse my mom's old issues of the magazine when I was in high school and junior high. I distinctly remember seeing an advertisement boasting the Hemingway Collection and vowing that I would one day have that sofa in my home. I have a bit of a sentimental connection to Ernest Hemingway, since the first "adult" book I read was The Old Man and the Sea, and I played Hemingway in a play for Odyssey of the Mind when I was in third grade. (And if my photos weren't all packed up, I would totally put one up here, because let me tell you, my Hemingway was spot on.)

As I approach 30, I'm trying to practice a little more self-restraint and save up money for more long-term pieces, and I feel like a leather sofa would be a good place to start, and while it will probably be several months, possibly years before I have the funds, I can always browse and keep dreaming.

3 comments:

  1. wow, what a great place to live! i look forward to seeing photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?! This is amazing! It's always been a dream of mine to live in a cabin! I hope you take so many pictures...I can not WAIT to see it! I'm so excited for you guys! (That was so many exclamation points, but seriously, this is awesome!)

    ReplyDelete